Menhirs in Lelant and Ludgvan
in a cultivated field Mennor Longstone TA(1841) No.1326, marked on OS as Standing Stone.
This fine 3.2 metre (10’6”) tall tapering stone is located on high ground in the centre of a cultivated field – TA1326 Long Rock – in sight of Trencrom and Trink hills (both areas of former prehistoric activity) and overlooking St.Ives Bay; the menhir stands close to an old pack horse road which is now part of the St.Michael’s Way public footpath.*
Blight recorded this menhir in 1856* and Henderson noted it as “a very fine monolith about 12 feet high”.* The adjacent tenement called Mennor may relate to the standing stone or to a massive rounded boulder known as Bowl Rock located by the roadside in the valley. Nothing much is known about Beersheeba Menhir that, surprisingly, was not mentioned by Michell in his Old Stones of Land’s End. No excavation has been carried out at the site.
CARBIS BAY stump of menhir
at 5303/3821, by the roadside, not marked on OS.
Rough sketch from Lanhydrock Atlas
This stone must once have been of some significance since it gave its name to the locality. In 1696 a dwelling named Long Stone House was marked in the south-west corner of Gonwin tenement virtually next to the present position of the stone; while a six acre enclosure to the south was named as Longstone Downs (see Lelant F2).*
The TA lists no less than seven fields in the vicinity called Long Stone but the sad 1.5 metre (4ft) stump, with drill marks down one side, now stands bizarrely next to the bus stop on the St.Ives A3074 road from Lelant.
Rough sketch of Map 1 GONWIN from the Praed Survey dated 1838.
Although a small image of the menhir was marked on an estate map of 1820* it was not mentioned by Blight and had probably already been cut down by then (c.1850s) – possibly during the rapid increase of mine building and road making connected with nearby Providence Mine.
Henderson recalled* it as being four feet high (1.2m) and standing by a milestone; he considered it had once been “of quite a respectable height” but “has of course been greatly cut down”.
Russell* saw the stone in January 1968 standing some 1.5 metres (5ft) high and set in concrete; she noted it as being moderately weathered except for the lower 30 centimetres (12in) which were then freshly exposed: she concluded that it was “not very imposing for a menhir” but that there was no other apparent reason for it.
HIGHER TREMENHEERE ‘lost’ menhirs
formerly at c.489/333.
In his manuscript notes Dr.Borlase, Vicar of Ludgvan, described “some very tall stones erect, formerly in all probability Druid deities” located at Tremenheere Wartha: no trace of these menhirs has been mentioned by any other author. The tenement name is interpreted as tre menhyr (place of the longstone), or, possibly, try menhyr (three longstones); interestingly, the family coat of arms shows three Doric columns.
In a land conveyance dated 1298 one of the witnesses was named as Michael de Tremeynher (in various spellings), and this surname appears in documents over the centuries, both as a personal name and a place name: the village was called Tremenhyr Woles. In this correspondence “to his beloved Lord the Prior of Mt St Ml in Cornwall Stephen de Beaupré”, Michael de Tremynhyr Woeles was given a small amount of land to hold in Tremynhyr Wartha and begging the Prior to kindly receive Michael “to do the service thereupon due to you”. Dated 23 Ed I Wednesday before Nat: of St John Bapt. Part of a 17th century Rental of the Mount Estate dated 1629-30 names a William and Henry Trimanhere.